Our friends here at the camp us are going to be doing an "international potluck" coming up.
It's neat because everyone that works here has a passion for missions and we've all spent time in various places around the world: the Phillipines, Brazil, Peru, Slovakia, Chile, among others. We all want to get together and share some of the deliciousness of those places - I'm pumped!!
I've spent time in Slovakia working at a school of missionary kids. I got to try some amazing food over there! One of the Slovak specialties is Garlic Soup. I recently asked my friend Melanie who grew up in Slovakia for the recipe and I made it for Jake and I. It is sooo easy and yummy! Not to mention it's probably one of the healthiest things you can put in your body. Garlic provides powerful antioxidants to help prevent cancer. If you make your own stock, you are making it even more healthy. So here is the recipe so you too, can enjoy the Slovak goodness! :) Bon Appetite!
* 3 cups of chicken stock
* 3 cups water (you can use 6 cups if you don’t have stock on hand)
* 1 head of garlic
* 1/3 cup oil
* Dash of sea salt
* Freshly ground pepper
* Few leaves of parsley
* 1 cup cubed crusty day old bread
1. Heat the chicken stock with 2 ½ cups water to a gentle boil
2. Blend the garlic in a food processor, and slowly add the oil, a few drips at a time
3. Add ½ cup water to the food processor at high speed, a tiny bit at a time
4. Blend until thickened
5. Pour the garlic mixture into the heated chicken stock
6. Add salt and pepper to taste
7. Chop the parsley finely, and sprinkle into the soup
8. Toss the cubes of bread with 2 tbsp of olive oil and toast on a frying pan
9. Place a few toasted bread cubes in the bottom of a bowl
10. Pour the soup over top of the bread cubes
p.s. don't forget to pop a few powerful mints after eating. Your friends and family will be grateful :)